This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Elven Decor

Sorry been away, orc attack in the fair land and had to flee to safer locale for a bit...Not much access in new place...

Anyway,  one thing that has really hit me about elvish decor is that you don't want to overdue it! Think if Hobbits on one end of spectrum and elves on the other...Hobbits like LOTS of things around, don't believe elves do...I notice that when I try to push the envelope with just one more little thing of decor and it can be small all of a sudden its TOO MUCH!  Think less is more when doing elven decor...Less is really better for that simple, clean, flowy, and elegant look of the elves... Elves were ethereal and otherwordly.  Objects tend to weigh us down, hold us back.  Let your decor reflect that.  Hobbits are more earthy and need that weighty earthiness around, elves need the lightness.  Does this help?  A few key pieces properly placed will speak volumes...  I tend to like to use different elements for this wood, metal and crystal to reflect light.  I also very much like silver accents for Galadriel....A unique lamp or a silver pitcher....I have both.  I also have incorporated Frodo's sting in a less obvious place and a beautiful white moth (Gandalf) as a clip on a soft white sheer curtain in my current bedroom near the silver pitture...Think unique and beautiful for elven decor.  If everyone else has one then you don't want one...Elves were/are so creative and like beautiful things... Keep your elven surrounds more open and uncluttered, this will complement elves need of open space, freedom of surroundings not buried like hobbits...Make sense?  Hope this helps!

Namarie  GG

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
My Fiancee and I are moving into our first apartment together and I would like some decorating advice. As of now, the apartment walls are white, and the carpet is that cheap, drab brown kind that is scratchy. I was thinking of adding an area rug and I've been looking at some elvish tree wall stickers, but mind you, our budget is cheap!