This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Sunday, July 29, 2012

More Elven and Hobbit thoughts on gardens

Been thinking but have very limited computer access anymore...

Everyone familiar with the cottage look? Well it hit me the other day about how hobbits like their gardens both veggie and floral, remember the scene with Sam coming home? Lovely lovely garden. There is a fine line I think between elven and hobbit gardens... You didn't see too much or read too much about it but they both had to eat.  I think the elves gardens were more regulated maybe less in your face if you will...Think they had designated garden area's where the elves who were drawn to this worked to their hearts content.  I know Lothlorien had beautiful flowers two of which we know by name elanor and niphridil...Do you think such a lovely lady such as Galadriel would be deprived of flowers? Of course not! But they did not have the cottage gardens of the hobbits. They had I think (some) more formal structured gardens especially in Rivendell but not in Lothlorien. They had more natural gardens there.  By natural gardens I mean ones that blended into nature more. Like a landscaped wooded area or a lawn bordered with lovely woodside garden beds...Think for the elves things were more flowy more complimentary of what nature offered.  For the hobbits think it was more like wildflowers, daisies, coneflowers, roses, blackeyed susans, etc...Maybe some daylilies too.  More like you see in an English cottage garden. For the elves at least in Lothlorien it was more woodland flowers and some beautiful exotic things they perhaps brought with them from the motherland... Think in the mallorns found only in Lothlorien... I like  flowers alot and like to bring them into my home too..But I like exotic if you will, white lots of white but also blues too as it compliments the green. Sometimes I like a shot of red for punch.  No matter if you like flowers bring them in! Whether your an elf or a hobbit if you love flowers go for it! They make me happy in and outdoors may they bless your day too!

No comments: