This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Advice for newly starting out couple...

First off remember utilize what you have, work with it not against it.  Brown is a neutral color that looks wonderful with lots of other colors ie: greens, whites, red accents especially. An area rug is a good idea but how large an area will it be? Will it designate  certain areas ie: dining area or living room space...Then look hard when you do get an area rug. Look at ALL the colors in it not just the main ones that jump out at you. See if it harmonizes with your brown.  Alot of oriental style rugs seem to have navy or mauve both of which are ok with brown the mauve especially. Maybe you can find a less expensive area rug at Wallymart... Or Home Depot and Lowes offer some nice rugs too. You can apply for store card there and make payments on a rug that will last for years... I did many years ago.

I want you two to take a color quiz for yourself. Think in three colors that you can both live with. Remember not to go too out there as its an apartment and chances are you won't be there forever, you need to be able to either sell it if you own or if renting leave it nice and neutral enough you won't have to repaint. I myself if were in your shoes would paint the walls a pale sage green. Its neutral goes with the brown and almost any other color will look good against it. Go to the paint store (Walmart) is affordable and personally I like their paint almost as much as the other big guys. Tape your little swatches on the walls and look at them in every light early, noon and night...the color will change see if you still like it. Pick the one you like the most keep it soft so it will be background...It will also make room look larger. Remember this is your cheapest and most effective decortating tool!  Use the first color you choose for your walls. The second color you choose will be an accent color so it needs to blend/harmonize with first color. The third color I'd pick would be white or soft cream for your final accent color. Accent colors are used simply as accent not as main colors. You also want to carry one of these three colors preferably one of accents into other rooms to create a flow....

Your accents should be used for toss pillows on couch or chairs. Also wall decor, candles, vases, throw blanket on edge of couch...If you do the sage green with the brown and perhaps red accent then choose gold metal for lamps, some wall hanging decor...Gold will compliment well...Guessing the brown is a cool brown and the sage green if you choose it will be cool probably so you need a little warmth ie: the gold accessories. These don't count as one of your colors mind you...Also if you keep the light walls in off white think you said, not too worry just use your color against this backdrop...You'll be fine.

Another affordable thing you can do is is curtains Walmart, Sears, Target these kind of places will carry curtains that are affordable and decent to look at. Again remember this is how you add color if you can't paint and keep it in your color scheme. I had a beautiful room in a deep taupe (brown) with beige carpet, sage green curtains, gold room accents in lamps etc. Also had a red chair for punch, it was a striking room.  The carpet disappeared with the wall color, curtains and accents on furniture walls... If its elven you want remember to be "timeless" in your choices of furniture design, accents, etc.  Elves are ethereal and timeless...Never out of season or date....

I have used alot of earth elements to also incorporate elven decor. They loved nature..I have used wood, stone, metal and water elements whenever able to bring nature in. I also recently have added birds in print and metal decor, it really brings nature in. You may want to look into this also. Love your idea of wall trees. Tree decor is excellent. I always think of the white tree found by Aragorn... And waterfalls...love waterfalls...Another thing at the famous budget stores a round metal wall hanger with small white votives on it, stunning for elven decor. Keep it simple, elegant but not expensive. Believe me if you knew my personal experiences over the past 16 plus years and lack of budget due to these circumstances you would totally know that I get lack of funds. Yet it has NOT stopped me from having a beautiful elven decor at almost every one of the flets I have resided in whether rented or owned...You must be creative and think outside the box within the borders of what I have laid out for you.

Elven = simple, elegant, timeless....

Hope this helps you on your way...If not feel free to post more specific questions for me. Don't get here as often as I'd like but hoping in January to get regular access to internet...I love hearing from you all...Really I do.

Elvish blessings to all,
GG

No comments: