This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Money Saving Tips for decorating.....Paint

Ok, friends....

It has been suggested to me that you all might want to know how to save some money here or on any decor job really.

Paint:
First off, alot of people I know always say "oh I only use" say for example "Benjamen Moore paint...." Well I just don't agree with that ....I have seen alot of paint in my day both on walls and elsewhere. Personally when its on the wall I can't tell the difference between Benjamen Moore or the Walmart brand I use. That is a major money saver believe me!!!! The expensive stuff is about twice the price. Another thing is to do it yourself ! You don't save time this way but you do save alot of money. Also to save yourself from stressing over color go to Walmart and get some paint swatches that you think you like. Get several. Next tape them onto your wall and look at them at different times of the day, am, midday, at evening timing. If you find one you think works, get a small a quart size and get an inexpensive paint brush medium size and paint a 3 foot by 3 foot spot on said wall. If you don't like it then you haven't wasted too much money or paint. If you do like it then go ahead and get more. Now you will most likely laugh at this but I almost never buy a gallon of paint. I almost always just get the quart, a medium size brush and start painting no matter the size of the room. In fact I have painted our 23 foot by 15 foot living room twice using this method. And you know a quart goes along way with a brush versus a roller. I hate rollers! They eat so much paint, they spray you and the room with paint, it takes forever to clean them....YUCK! My husband hates it but since I'm the painter that is what I do. This also saves money! Another tip is that if your not done painting and you need to take a break wrap the brush in aluminun foil and put in the fridge until ready to start again. This keeps the paint fresh and ready to go again...This saves time and sometimes time is money. Also when it comes to paint I think its important to put two coats. This gives you more of the true color. Oh yes! Can't forget this! Sometimes I have found through friends referals a color that Walmart doesn't necessarily have and gotten a color swatch from say Ben Moore. THEN I go to Walmart and have them computer match it so that I get the same great color but pay less than half the price!!!! Love it when that happens!

GG

No comments: