This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Some color tips for decorating

Something to remember when choosing colors is that there are warm colors and cool colors. And that the two families don't always go well together. Warm colors are yellow based and cool colors are blue based. Warm colors usually "warm you up" and are in the softer shades cosy and inviting. Cool colors are of course cool and in the deeper tones like blue for example, can actually lower your body temperature. In the softer shades they are serene and soothing. Usually it is the rule of thumb to stick to one family or the other. However sometimes they can be matched for interesting combo's. One cool color that is great with cool and warm colors is white. It makes a great accent with both families of color. I personally feel that if you are a hobbit you will prefer the warmer colors and an elf will prefer the cooler colors. I may be wrong but that is just my opinion.

More advice...Never paint a north facing room blue! Paint it yellow or something similar to "warm" it up. Did you know that you will actually warm it up doing that? Its a mind trick that really works. Just the same never paint a south facing room yellow! Paint it blue or some other cool color. I have a magazine article that says that it has actually been proven that a blue room will lower your body temperature on a warm day. Weird but it works.

Happy decorating!

No comments: