This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lothlorien Garden Part I

My Lothlorien garden is/was my most desired and most detailed garden. I have dreamed of this garden for years. I have tried so many times to make it real but keep meeting with failure mainly due to the soil again but that has not been the only factor. I have a computer program Punch Home Suite or some such name that has my dream there in 3D, its great but I want to walk it for real!

Anyways getting back to this garden. After years of observation, study, etc. I have determined to the best of my ability that the Mallorn is based on the American Beech. The characteristics of both are so similar its no accident I'm sure. So I have been trying faithfully to get some to grow, again without much success-soil/drainage issue. Its been heartbreaking to me. But again I digress in the wrong direction, its just so emotional for me. The A. Beech. Its a beautiful tree with the silvery white bark, smooth trunk, same little seeds, the leaves are interesting too in shape but differ slighty from book. The only other tree mentioned in Lothlorien is on the hill where Arwen and Aragorn meet. Again I have determined to the best of my ability for my purposes is a tree called a silver birch or white birch. It has silver underlining on its leaves which show when the wind blows. They can be seen here up to a 1/2 mile away, lovely. They also have a white trunk, its marked with black in places and more mature trees on the base. BUT it differs from the beech just enough to stand out in leaf shape and bark color. Perfect! It is also very prolific, again good for me! And grows well here. I had the little circle going in the location of the hill but they somehow kept getting mowed down till I had none! I planted some in containers for future replanting but the drought killed them and forgetting to water them didn't help either! Frustrating!

Re: the flowers the niphridil and elanor. I have/had a wonderful friend in Greece that sent my some niphridil or so we call it. In English it seems to be called Star of Bethlehem. I cannot find it but I'm sure if its googled you'd find it somewhere. I haven't tried that yet. My friend had sent me some but they didn't take to well in my tester pots. When I try to get this garden going again.....I will try hard to find this Star of Bethlehem. My neighbor seemed to have found some one year or something that sure looked like it but never got to ask him, rather a recluse. I know I will succeed!

The elanor now thats a horse of a different color isn't it? To date I have not found one that I really feel comfortable with. Basically looking for some kind of yellow small star shaped ground cover that is also evergreen. May have to settle with one that only blooms for a season and comes back the following year. But it must bloom in conjunction with the niphridil!

Last but not least I had planned on also planting some evergreen golden shrubs along the borders of this garden for year round show to add some more "gold" to the "golden wood"...Haven't done that yet as that was to be a last detail after everything else was in place.

Ok this is getting long so I'll stop now. This covers most of the foliage info I compiled, hope it helps.

No comments: