This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lothlorien Garden Part II

Ok, here is the meat of the matter for you...
This is what I envisioned using the plant material mentioned prior. I was to have a lovely rectangular plot, nice and long about 300' long by 90' wide. It WAS perfect...Anyways all along the four borders you would see the "mallorns" inside of these unseen really were to be the two hills mentioned in the book. I did not have two hills so was trying to recruit some fill dirt which always seems to be around, the problem is getting it to your place, my problem as well. I had measured off the first hill, a circle that was to house a "flet" as described in the book. My plan was to build it similar to the book but with a base, meaning support 4x4's or such with a hole in the dead center of the floor allowing for the mallorn I was to plant room to grow up and through...Hence creating the same feel as the book. At the base of the hill was to be the "ring" of the other trees and the inside the mallorns. There was also plans for a heavy planting of elanor and niphridil here. From this location I had planned out a "road" or path to the other hill made of white gravel and white pavers as described in the book. The second hill was to be a rounded rectangle. It was to have steps carved into the front for climbing up. It was also to be heavily planted with my mallorns. On top I had planned on the far left side a huge water fountain feature that would flow off the back and down in a little stream like to Galadriel's secret garden. I had found this incredible garden step feature that is to die for. It was to be installed next to this stream going into the garden with the trees all around. The water feature was to be a recycling unit that circulated the water back and forth, up and down. I also had plans for a wrought iron black fence to surround this particular hill with a gate as mentioned in the book. I have been collected solar laterns that were to hang from the gate and the trees at night after collecting sunlight all day... I was to have another flet on the top of the hill again with a hole for a tree to grow through and wanted to paint the colors exactly as in the book with the golds and greens, etc. As for Galadriels secret garden I had planned on planting Canadian Hemlock as a "wall" around the immediate boundery. Inside I had plans on some white roses, some other white flowers all scented where possible. And of course I was going to have her urn and basin...Oh the detail I had planned! I had also planned to have everything facing in the appropiate directions as mentioned in the book. Can't recall right at this moment what those where but they are in the book. Just wanted everything to be accurate and perfect. Oh and re: the little musical river that flows, this was an issue for me, not have a real stream again. SO what I did was to use a drainage ditch that often had water in it, make it a little deeper and break from my tight rules and "pretend" it was my river until I could find something better to create what I needed.

So dear friends, that in a nutshell is two my gardens. I am running out of energy so will have to do more later.

Coming up: Ilthilien and The Shire and Rivendell too!

No comments: