This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Galadriel's Quarter's Room aka: Dressing Room

Decided to do up the "dressing room" in colors that match the book for the quarters of fair Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn...

Always wanted a room to match and now am getting one. It (was) a pale gold room but now its a lovely spring green. Funny but it really changes green shades in the different lights. This just adds to the wonder of it all though. Got some lovely sage green curtains (Walmart) that are put out by Better Homes and Gardens. I mention this so that you can see which curtains specifically. They come in other shades as well and all are lovely. They caught my eye because they have an attached valance already and have these lovely swirl type patterns on an overlay sheer fabric that appears very elven to me... I got a small roll of silver metallic ribbon to tie them back with. The colors in the book are green walls with silver accents and a soft gold ceiling. Nice! I found a lovely unusual silver lamp and silver shade (Walmart) for $20 bucks! Worth every penny! Also found this large white fabric butterfly on clearance at the fabric store for nothing. It has some glittery stuff on the wings and is lovely with silver and green on its wings. Taped it from underneath on the wall near the top of my dresser. Adds an ethereal touch to the room.

We recently purchased these two "closets" or wardrobes that are going to be either stained or painted. Mine will be a shimmery pearl color as that is what jumps out at me every time I look at it in the room. It will compliment the room immensely in this color and will also make it look more classy in the room too. Also planning on "stamping" perhaps some soft leaf patterns in a flowing/blowing fashion around the top walls in the room in a shimmery silver color paint that will sometimes be seen and other times not depending on how the light hits it...FUN!May have to make my own stencils if can't find exisiting stamp or stencil. Thats ok, its easy. Think it going to look elven since the leaves will be in the shape of beech leaves ( my belief the inspiration for the Mallorn)....Tolkien would be pleased (I hope) Anyways on top of the afore mentioned wardrobe I have placed a silver pitcher that immediately puts me in mind of Galadriel's pitcher....Unexpected to see it there and yet to the knowing eye it makes a statement for sure..."She is here...." I also have Sting that needs hanging somewhere. That is more of a challenge only because of the kids... Am going to put little things or large in surprising places that will certainly give things a Tolkien feel especially to the knowing eye... Telling you this is so much fun!

Thinking of adding a silver framed mirror to a wall here in this room...Oh yes the ceiling, its already a soft gold or in some lights a soft yellow beige but thinking the color is accurate enough to leave it be...Its already such a lovely room...

Can't wait till its done so I can get pic's and try to find a way to get them posted for you (no scanner)

Middle Earth can be incorporated into your decor too. Just close your eyes and start thinking outside the box. Let your imagination go...Things will come to you. And it doesn't have to be "in your face" stuff to convey this or I don't think so anyways. Sometimes a hint of something, like an obvious detail will lead the imagination of the viewer to see MORE than is actually there. This is a common thing done in movies, they show you so much (not much) and your imagination fills in the rest... Example (again my opinion) the silver pitcher on the wardrobe...If someone familiar with Tolkien spots it they will unless really dense think of Galadriel. They will "fill in" with "she's here, somewhere, she's set her pitcher down"...See how it works...I won't have a standee there but won't need one...

Another example is the downstairs "guest room" that is in progress. Trying hard to get a "door mural" up that so looks like Rivendell to me. When the "room" is finished with the sheers for walls and the bedding is put on the bed and all complete, don't think the standee of Arwen will be needed. It could be used to emphazize what you already know but not necessary. Are you starting to understand? There is just so much in my head, sometimes can't see what missing from the written word from whats printed in the brain...Sorry!

Ok,getting so tired...These late nights with the computer are taking its toll on me. Really miss having a computer during the day available anytime I was...We still don't have the tv or the computer set up and its been since late October...Whew. Can do without somethings but others well they are sorely missed. Guess should be grateful for what there is though shouldn't I? Could have nothing not even a late night laptop that is gone when I awaken...

Happy decorating!

GG

No comments: