This is my dream, my passion to recreate the more beautiful parts of Tolkien's world into my own...To merge what I see with what I do not see, to have a blending of his world with mine...To be able finally to walk in the land I have so longed dreamed of...Come walk with me as we make this journey together...

I aear can ven na mar....

I aear can ven na mar....
"The sea calls us home" -Elrond at Grey Havens

Lady Galadriel

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Contemporary Tolkien Style???

Not sure how to rate this style but here goes my best attempt...Contemporary or Modern? Maybe?  Instead of recreating a certain realm as I LOVE to do I have created a more quiet and simple flavor of a room with Middle Earth elements or tokens that I love...

For example in "my private space" the walls are a soft silver almost a white...Quiet serene, peaceful.  Against that backdrop I have a soft off white sheer curtain drapes to the floor with this lovely vine embroidered on it. I have accented with black and silver accents where ever I can. There is a nice antique dressing table ( I call it a desk but in its day apparently it WAS a dressing table) that I have placed a large rectangle wall mirror framed in black with these little elvish squiggles all around the interior border. ITS PERFECT! In front of the mirror which is directly facing the end of the silver framed bed I found you will see the three ladies of The Trilogy all in lovely white outfits posed against front of mirror, Galadriel, Arwen, and Eowen. All 12'' action figures in real fabric clothing. Lovely!  The bed itself is beautiful metal with lovely flowing style in silver covered in a deep, ripply looking teal shimmery spread.  On an adjoining wall there is a mural of 12 calendar pages from the main characters from the Trilogy all in an awesome black and white photo style. All I did was to get this awesome sticky poster gum from Walmart and carefully space them four across and three down. Lovely! It perfectly fills this huge empty wall too!  On another wall you will see a small movie clip of the bridge scene with Arwen and Aragorn. On yet another small between door jams space you will see Frodo's sword hanging.... On the one of the curtains if you look you will see the white moth that Gandalf spoke to while imprisoned in Sauruman's tower.  I have two small very elvish looking silver lamps in the room, one on a small plant stand that I spray painted metalic silver.  Such simple details and yet not....There are also two pic's taken from horse calendars showing Shadowfax the beautiful white horse Gandalf rode...There is a small smiling shot of Galadriel's face taken from a movie clip in another small space between doors. Its awesome because the room is simple, tranquil and yet everywhere I look there is something middle earth looking back at me giving me a happy, peaceful environment with my favorite things...

Guess the point I'm trying to make here for those of you who DON'T want to do a total room makeover with a specific theme try going with contemporary themes, something you love in room color, furniture etc BUT find some real meaningful Middle Earth items and ADD them into your existing decor. Let them be a focal point somewhere whether a wall or a table top, dresser top, etc.  Sometimes its the simple "focal" point that can really make an impact on a whole room. Again this depends on your decorating style. If your a hobbit, then well, ahh that's alot harder to have a focal point BECAUSE hobbits have lots of focal points, ie: they love STUFF! Its everywhere! Elves are more spartan and elegant, that is MY STYLE....But no fears my best forever friend is a true hobbit and its totally cool.  And sorry if any orc fans... I have NO ORC FRIENDS, sorry! I can try to help you but  wow thats scary to me to think of all that negative stuff. Maybe I'll do a special post just for you with SOME suggestions but I don't dare go too far into that scary realm, most will be left to your own imaginations...

So if you want a Middle Earth space, you don't have money or you don't want to totally go nuts like me with trying to actually make the space LOOK like the movies then go spartan in your choice of realms. Find one or two things, a calendar thats outdated but you still have...Frame the pics for goodness sake! The dollar store has frames or just do as I did and use the poster putty from Walmart.  Remember also ME stuff DOESN'T have to come from the Tolkien website to be ME quality.  I have found some awesome stuff that is so elven and otherwise at Walmart, thrift stores, etc. All it takes is an open mind AND a good ME imagination.  I know I have mentioned this particular online catalog before but here goes again: Seventh Avenue!  Love that place. They will mail you free catalogs several times a year and are online all the time.  They feature unique quality items that often have ME style of things. I love them for their selections but ALSO because IF you don't have money you can easily get credit paying only $20 a month with LOW interest till you pay off some bigger items. I have done it several times over the years.  I now own a lovely metal elven garden bench that I never could have gotten without the payments. I have a large folding floor screen with the most Lothlorien looking woods scene ever that totally makes my LR which again without payment would not have happened. There is a large Rivendell metal wall clock, same thing.  Hard to remember what else but know there is more...SO again may I suggest you look into Seventh Avenue.com? Think if you do you'll eventually find something whether you be elven, hobbit, or  human....Orc well not sure...sorry.  Maybe if your real lucky.

Happy Searching and Decorating!

GG
















No comments: